Confederate Dead Monument, Charlottesville

Confederate Dead Monument

Dublin Core

Title

Confederate Dead Monument, Charlottesville

Description

The Confederate Dead memorial in the cemetery at the University of Virginia is a large stone statue of a Confederate soldier designed by Caspar Buberl in 1893 as part of the movement to replace the temporary wooden markers with more permanent ones due to the high number of Confederate soldiers who died in the University hospital. The temporary wooden markers were created by a group of women from Charlottesville called the Ladies Confederate Memorial Association, who took down the names, states, and regiments of those who had died at the University. At the dedication ceremony for the statue, the speech included the idea that slavery had nothing to do with the causes of the Civil War, a point which Alexander Stephens had begun to speak out for following the events of the Civil War despite his Cornerstone Speech which he delivered in 1861.

Currently, the Confederate Cemetery rests over a thousand soldiers and is located adjacent to the University Cemetery which rests the university’s former presidents, professors, and students. Found nearby the cemeteries were unmarked graves which later established the African American Cemetery and will be preserved and memorialized by the University.

Creator

Caspar Buberl

Source

“Cemetery.” UVA Reveal: Augmenting the University. http://reveal.scholarslab.org/cemetery (accessed December 13, 2020).

Date

1893

Contributor

Sally Hy, Jacob Sandusky

Language

English

Type

Sculpture

Identifier

HIST 402A Fall 2020

Coverage

Charlottesville, VA

Geolocation